It’s safe to say winter is properly here now.
Temperatures have plummeted and snow has swept the country and, as always, we don’t really know how to deal with it.
For many parents, guardians or carers, their kids will be breaking up for the festive break too (if they haven’t already), and they’ll be juggling their care along with everything else that fills our diaries at this time of year.
I hope you’re making the most of all of the social activities and invitations that inevitably arise this time of year, but I will say this:
Remember, Alba is about more than just adjustments or “clicking your back”.
It’s about your overall wellness, and helping you to be the healthiest person you can.
And with the dark mornings and evenings, the cold weather, and the additional stress of Christmas, it’s vital that you take care of yourself.
Because every January, we see patients come in who are feeling worn out, “beaten up”, exhausted, and ‘burnt out’.
They’ll often put it down to a bit of Christmas excess. One too many Baileys on Christmas day. A few sherries in front of the fire.
But the actual cause typically starts now, in the middle of December.
And it’s not just a feeling of being a bit tired. The symptoms of stress, burnout and exhaustion include:
- Feeling constantly tired and drained
- Headaches and muscle pain (with no obvious cause)
- Lowered immune system and increased cases of illness
- Bad mood and feeling irritable
- The desire to withdraw from social interactions
And, if persistent over an extended period – decreased life span. Yes, that’s how much stress can affect our bodies!
The good news?
Beating the January crash (as I like to call it) isn’t impossible.
It can be as simple as making a conscious effort to allow yourself to relax and recover, even during a month as busy as this one.
- Make sure you’re aiming to get 8 hours of sleep
- Try and keep your diet balanced – even if you’re eating and drinking out a lot
- Ensure you’re spending time outside and aiming to hit 8k steps per day
- Consider meditation and your sleep hygiene practices to ensure you’re resting
- Don’t be afraid to turn down social occasions! Your health is more important
- And ensure you’re continuing with your spinal health care!
Remember, we’re here to help, so if you’ve got any questions about looking after yourself this time of year, simply give us a call on 01925 411 005
Alba Spinal Health center
P.S. We’ve had some questions about our opening hours of Christmas/New Year. Here’s a quick reminder of them for you:
Friday 23rd December 07.30 – 19.30
Saturday 24th December Closed
Sunday 25th December Closed
Monday 26th December Closed
Tuesday 27th December Closed
Wednesday 28th December 07.30 – 19.30
Thursday 29th December 07.30 – 19.30
Friday 30th December 07.30 – 19.30
Saturday 31st December Closed
Sunday 1st January Closed
Monday 2nd January Closed
Tuesday 3rd January 07.30 – 19.30